Tuesday 5 June 2012

My Final Decision

I know why I'm finding it so hard to write Becoming Sky. It's got nothing to do with the fact that my characters aren't talking to me - although that was a huge problem yesterday - it's to do with the fact that I'm finding it a chore to write it. 

So I looked at loads of author's blog posts and read them religiously today, practically all day, when admittedly I should have been writing. And then I read one of Maggie Stiefvater's blogs, and it changed everything I had thought of Becoming Sky.

In the blog, Maggie talks about one of her new novels: The Scorpio Races, and how it was one of those books that she wrote because she had wanted to read it when she was younger. And then she talked of how hard she worked on it - it was a work in progress for many years. And then I thought, well, would I be prepared to write for that long, edit it until I think it's perfect, and then be prepared to send it to publishers, just knowing people are going to love it? 

And I had no answer to that straight away.

So I copied the html, and then pasted it onto a word page, ready for me to rethink that question. And then I go to another blog post, by Rachel Aaron, which made me hate Becoming Sky all of a sudden. I mean, she talked about wasting precious writing time on novels that might not make it, or ones that you're not interested in anymore.

And the fact of the matter is, I'm not interested in Becoming Sky. I was, but then that changed, once I started getting more and more muddled into the world of Pelesivia.

As I read more and more of the post, I realised my planning and information on it, was all totally wrong. I didn't spend very much at all on planning, and half of the stuff I have written has bored me. Nearly all of it, and that's not good, because if the writer finds it boring, you can almost guarantee the reader finds it boring.

And so, I think I've made a good decision, by putting Becoming Sky in my Work On Later folder, ready for when I've planned it right, and when I really do want to write it. And then I can revise all the loop holes and hooks that didn't work, and maybe make it into the novel I imagined it to be all those months ago, when I thought of it in the shower. 

So, I hear you wondering, what am I writing for NaNoWriMo? Well, I have no idea is your answer. I think I need to plan very carefully the novel I'm thinking of writing, and maybe get enough time to actually write something for NaNo. Maybe.

I have no idea why I have told you my deepest thoughts on Becoming Sky, but I felt I had to get it out, and this was the first thing that springed to mind.

Tumblr_lzzxkiwmnz1r415jeo1_500_large

The websites that made me question everything I had thought about Becoming Sky:

http://maggiestiefvater.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/writing-book-i-always-meant-to.html

http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/how-i-plot-novel-in-5-steps.html

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear Becoming Sky didn't work out for you, Lupus. I do have faith that you'll come up with an idea that'll plague you so much you'll never grow tired of it. T'is the writer's curse.(; Good luck with finding your new dream! Don't be too sad about putting a novel away because it doesn't interest you; there are many people out there who will pursue an idea until it's flattened against a brick wall with no where else to run. Finding which ideas will work and which ideas won't is a hard feat, but one that every writer goes through. You're a great writer with lot's of potential; don't ever give up!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm sad too. Haha, a curse it is :D Hm, I think I need the luck! Yes, I guess you're right. All those amazing stories had to start from somewhere. A very hard feat! Aww, thank you Elle, that's so nice to hear.

      Delete